Do you really think that summertime in University is a dead season? Indeed you are wrong, because it is time for internships! From 8th to 13th of July, 2018, 1st year master students, who study the program “Petroleum Chemistry and Refining” (Department “Chemistry and Technology of Natural Energy Carriers and Carbon Materials”, School of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, Siberian Federal University), successfully undertook an internship at Achinsk refinery, one of the biggest oil refineries in Russia.
The students we briefed about possible hazards on site, general safety rules and what to do in case of emergency. Apart from that they were introduced to the refinery structure and they took part into various activities within the refinery.
This year our students visited the following units:
1) Atmospheric & Vacuum Distillation Units;
2) Isomerization, Catalytic Reforming, Hydrotreatment (gasoline, diesel and jet fuels) Units;
3) Bitumen & Sulphur Production Unit;
4) The laboratory of quality control of refinery’s commercial products: diesel fuel, LPG, gasoline, mazut (black oil), bitumen;
5) LPG tank farm and oil products transportation plants (loading bays);
6) Water recycling & Equipment maintenance Units;
7) Refinery’s CHPP.
Our students would like to express sincere appreciation to Achinsk employees for sharing expertise and assistance. Many thanks to refinery management and head of the Master’s program Fedor Buryukin for support and guidance during internship.